A hobby blog to get tips, ideas, reviews, resources, interests, leisure, pastimes, recreation, entertainment and travel.

Search This Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Everything starts with reading - 2008 National Year of Reading

I don't remember from which age I started reading story books, but I can recall the memories of my love for books. I am a reading lover and although I don't get time to read paper books and digital media has taken it's place. But I am sure to say that reading is one of my most favourite hobby of all times. Due to my reading habit, I people around me know me as an informed and skilled person. I have more knowledge and creative skills as compare to my colleagues and all credit goes to my 'reading habits' for sure. I love blogging because it has given me both reading and publishing (which is a form of writing) opportunities.
Many people don't know that 2008 is being celebrated as a national year of reading. Site 'http://www.yearofreading.org.uk/'communicates the importance of reading featuring literacy initiatives and resources.

Why this celebration?

"The National Year of Reading (NYR) is a year-long celebration of reading, in all its forms. It aims to increase awareness of the many values of reading – anything, anytime, anyplace – for children, families and adult learners alike." It aims to help build a greater national passion for reading in England – for children, families and adult learners alike.

As an educator and a parent, I feel like supporting the reading habit among our young genenration. Digital media has its own power and technology age has provided so much iformation and sources for them that they have forgotten to touch paper books, or magazines.

allbookclubs.com

Among other benefits of reading is an important factor that it can keep your mind active and engaged well at old age. Developing good reading habits from a small age would help us get the benefits of reading. But today's parents shouldn't forget that children take reading habits from their parents first and then from other sources.

Reading doesn't always mean reading books, but everyone would agree that everything in life starts with reading. Books are an extremely valuable source of knowledge and enjoyment. Children and adults can read to develop their language, vocabulary, and all round comprehension skills. Spelling and writing skills are also improved by regular reading.

Beside academic learning, reading also offers a wide range of other life skills. Books can help children learn more about the world around them. They can read and learn about morals, friendship, love and family.
♥ CONSIDER SHARING THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU LIKE IT ♥
Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon Digg Delicious Reddit Technorati Mixx Linkedin
[Get this Widget]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Popular Posts